Dry eye & Computer vision syndrome
Dry eye is a condition where the eyes feel burning, irritation, redness and discomfort due to decreased tears in the eyes.
- Computer use (Computer Vision syndrome)
- Systemic problems like Rheumatoid arthritis
Computer Use and Eyes
With increasing use of computers either for work or studies, this computer vision syndrome is steadily becoming a common cause of dry eyes. Nearly 75- 90 % of people working with computer systems experience some vision problem as a result or discomfort.
Symptoms related to computer use?
Symptoms occur sometime after you start work, and by the end of the day the symptoms will be more like.
- Difficulty focusing after computer work
- Blurry or double vision.
- Eye fatigue
- Headaches or backaches
- Dry irritated eyes
- Neck stiffness or discomfort
- Sensitivity to lighting
- Don’t focus on the computer monitor for a long period of time
- Improve the room lighting; don???t use computers in dark room.
- Blink often, make it a habit.
- 20-20-20 Rule: Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds
- Sit at least 18-24 inches away from the screen.
Tilt the monitor slightly below eye level.